Who Are You Competing Against – Really?
Top Ten Reasons why you should Love Your Competition
Seth Godin says: “Competing with yourself is more difficult, requires more bravery and leads to more insight.”
When someone says ‘Ah, so you are a competitor?’ - what are they really saying? Your greatest competitor is probably not another player in your market – in fact they are not nearly as much of a threat as you think and surprisingly provide you with more benefits than you could imagine.
So who, or what is the real competition?
- Yourself – bettering the person you were yesterday
- Time – not beating the clock, but being more efficient
- Procrastination – the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now
- Distraction – resisting temptation, trivia and timewasting
- Knowledge – do you know so much that you can’t take on a new idea?
Our real competition is our human failings, including our fear of competition.
So here are my Top Ten Reasons why you should Love Your Competition:
- Competitors grow the entire category
- Competitors can service clients you can’t, shouldn’t or won’t
- Competitors are often your best source of qualified referrals
- Competitors will welcome your qualified referrals
- Competitors can be your best collaborators as they understand the industry and add the valuable dimension of a different perspective
- Competitors keep you on your toes and encourage you to do your best and continually improve your offering, service and performance
- Competitors are investing in and developing your industry with research, new ideas, designs, tools, methodologies and processes
- Poor competitors aren’t competitors at all. They will either make you smug (because we are all so good, right?) or drag you down with excuses for poor performance
- Effective competitors create whole new opportunities for the market and create masses of downstream wealth and activity
- Competitors keep you honest
The competition is you. Your time starts now.